The Bottom Line
Updated July 2013
Microsoft Security Essentials is easily one of the best free antivirus program available. I like it because it's produced by Microsoft and because it's really easy to see if the program is protecting you as it should be.
Important: Microsoft Security Essentials provides constant virus protection, also called on-access or resident protection, for free. This means that Microsoft Security Essentials can completely replace antivirus software from companies like McAfee and Norton that charge for their software and for yearly access to updates.
- Provides resident protection from viruses, spyware and other malware
- Virus definitions are updated automatically and regularly
- Very easy to install
- Does not attempt to install unrelated software
- Works with Windows 7, Vista, and XP (It's included with Windows 8)
- Does not include a silent mode (so you might be bothered during gaming)
- Microsoft Security Essentials includes fully functional engines to guard against viruses and most other kinds of malware.
- Includes a very easy to use on-demand scanner for manual malware checks.
- Windows 7, Vista, and XP are all supported operating systems for Microsoft Security Essentials.
- Simple green/red indicator makes it very easy to see if you're protected.
- Microsoft Security Essentials updates regularly to keep its malware knowledge current.
Guide Review - Microsoft Security Essentials
Security Essentials is Microsoft's first attempt at an antivirus program, free or otherwise. My take: they did an excellent job. It was super easy to install and even easier to understand and use. Microsoft Security Essentials even trumps most of the popular, expensive antivirus options out there.
Just click the Visit Their Website link below to download Microsoft Security Essentials.