The Barnes & Noble Summer Reading program for 2013 has come to an end. Please check back in the spring for more details on their 2014 program.
The Barnes and Noble summer reading program for kids gives kids a free book when they read 8 books over the summer.
The Barnes and Noble summer reading program for 2013 is called Imagination's Destination.
Looking for more summer reading programs that will score your kids some freebies? Check out my list of the best summer reading program freebies.
How to Get Free Books From the Barnes and Noble Summer Reading Program:
Visit Barnes and Noble summer reading program to download and print a reading journal. Fill out the student information on the first page of the journal. A parent must sign on this page in order for the child to get a free book.
After your child reads a book they need to write down the title, author, and who they would recommend the book to and why in the reading journal. Your child will need to read 8 books to be able to get a free book from the Barnes and Noble summer reading program.
Bring the completed and signed reading journal into your local Barnes and Noble book store between May 21, 2013 and September 3, 2013. Present it to an employee and they will let your child choose a book from the free book list.
Types of Free Books Available From the Barnes and Noble Summer Reading Program:
There's a wide variety of free books available for kids from the Barnes and Noble summer reading program.
Children in grades 1-2 are eligible to receive one of the following books:
- Calendar Mysteries Series #1: January Joker by Ron Roy
- DK Readers: Lego Legends of Chima: Tribes of Chima by DK Publishing
- Fancy Nancy: Nancy Clancy, Super Sleuth by Jane O' Connor
- Jorge el curioso: El baile by H.A. Rey
- My Little Pony: Meet the Ponies of Ponyville by Olivia London
- National Geographic Readers Series: Dolphins by Melissa Stewart
- Pete the Cat: Play Ball by James Dean
Kids that are in grades 3-4 can pick out one of these books:
- The Adventures of Captain Underpants by Dav Pikey
- Elray Jakes Walks the Plank by Sally Warner
- How to Train Your Dragon by Cressida Cowell
- Ramona Quimby, Age 8 by Beverly Cleary
- Traitor in the Shipyard: A Caroline Mystery by Kathleen Ernst
Those children that are in grades 5-6 can choose from this list of books:
- Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko
- Books of Beginning Series #1: The Emerald Atlas by John Stephens
- Esperanza renace by Pam Munoz Ryan
- Hoot by Carl Hiaasen
- Remarkable by Elizabeth Foley
- The Tail of Emily Windsnap by Liz Kessler
- Tuesdays at the Castel by Jessica Day George
- Wings of Fire Book One: The Dragonet Prophecy by Tui T. Sutherland
Other Features of the Barnes and Noble Summer Reading Program:
The Barnes and Noble summer reading program website also has parent and educator activity kits. These kits include fun activities about reading that can be completed with a child.
Limits to Be Aware Of:
The Barnes and Noble summer reading program is only available to school-aged children in grades 1-6.
Only one book is available for each child who completes a reading journal and choice must be made from the selected books available at the store.
How Your Information Is Used: